Organising a successful party begins with careful planning. By having a plan, timeline and checklist in place, you along with your guests will be able to enjoy the party knowing that everything has been taken care of and nothing’s been forgotten.
Here are some handy guidelines I usually follow: [be sure to tick them off once you’ve completed the task or draw up a spread sheet to help you keep track.]
One month before party:
Set a budget. This guides the number of guests, amount of food, decorations, etc.
- Decide on the date, time and venue for party. Now this is where I admit I cheat a little and book at Kidzville. They have enough space for the amount of guests I invite and given the time of year I book parties, at least I know there’s shelter in case of rain or miserable weather.
- Select a theme. Don’t forget to involve the birthday child if they are old enough regarding this decision – it’s their day after all.
- Return Kidzville booking sheet with proof of confirmation deposit.
- Send out invitations. A printable invite is provided by Kidzville and digital ones coming soon!
3 Weeks before :
- Plan the menu.
- Write up a shopping list.
- Order any food that needs to be done by a caterer or bakery. Always have a little extra of everything in case a sibling unexpectedly also attends. Check the second page of the Kidzville booking sheet for catering contacts.
- Ensure you have enough plates, cups etc. as well as tables and chairs and table cloths. All tables, table cloths, chairs, cake plates & forks; teaspoons, cups, glasses, urn, tea/coffee and juice are included when booking your party at Kidzville. So much less to have to organise!
- Order or buy decorations. The friendly, helpful staff of Kidzville will have your area prepared and decorated with balloons, drapes, table cloths and garlands. All you have to add is the catering and any additional themed items. Personalised printable themed items can be ordered from Kidzville.
2 Weeks before :
- Buy non-perishable items.
- Decide where food will be served from. Kidzville venue will have a designated area ready for you.
- Make up goody bags if you are going to give these out. Party buckets can be ordered from Kidzville. Personalised labels for the buckets also available.
- Plan games and activities. Various, fun, age appropriate activities are already included when booking your party at Kidzville – some of them with facilitators so you can relax and engage with your guests knowing the children are having a ball.
1 Week before :
- Follow up with guests who haven’t yet sent an RSVP.
- Prepare food that can be frozen.
- Create a party playlist. Already done for you at Kidzville.
2 Days before :
- If you are baking the cake, now is the time to do so.
- Buy the fresh groceries.
- Make plans for parking. Kidzville provides ample, secure parking.
- Advise Kidzville of your number of guest to set up for.
Day before party:
- Confirm any orders.
- Prepare food.
- Set table. If your party has been booked at Kidzville, no need to worry as this will already be done for you prior to your arrival.
- Not necessary if you have booked a party at Kidzville, bring your themed items along on the day.
- Ice the cake if you haven’t already done so.
- If the birthday child is young, chat to them about what they can do and expect from the party.
- Make sure your camera and video recorder and phone are fully charged.
Party Day – yay:
- Finish any food preparation.
- Set out the food and drinks.
- Don’t forget a camera for capturing those magical moments.
- Have a table or place for the gifts.
- Clean up after the party – Luckily Kidzville has staff to assist with this and best of all I can go home to my neat, orderly house.
These make up my favourite party foods.
The most important tip I can suggest is don’t over cater especially if you are doing the catering yourself. We all have a tendency to worry that there’ll be a food shortage but quite the opposite is true. Heaps of food seems to be left over after parties.
Your amount of guests and budget guides you in determining the amount of food to provide but have you considered age?
Children aged 1 -2 years aren’t such big eaters yet so putting out some yummy soft sweets like marshmallows, decorated cupcakes and serving savouries like mini sausages and cheese curls are always a treat. Don’t forget the juice, but then if you’ve booked “Kidzville” as your party venue, you are an organized Mom and you’ll already be saving as juice is included for parties booked at “Kidzville.”
Boys and girls aged 3-8 years are actively involved in the activities provided so food that they can grab and go is a plus. Make sure there’s a balance between sweet and savoury deliciousness. Hotdogs, mini samoosas, mini pies, and crisps with dip fill a hungry tummy along with assorted sweets, and cupcakes. Coldrinks, water and juices are your thirst quenchers – remember “Kidzville will already have the juices and suitable drinking glasses set out at no additional cost.
The 9 -12 year olds and older have more “cooler” tastes so I’d suggest pizzas, (if you can keep them warm or have them delivered hot), hotdogs, fondues – sweet and savoury.
Do remember refreshments for adults who’ll enjoy both savoury snacks and some delicious melt in your mouth cake. You can choose from a variety at your nearest bakery or home industry. Be sure to pre-cut into manageable slices though making it easier for guests to help themselves and prevent waste. Cakes also go further by doing so.
Kidzville party venue are a huge help in that they set out enough tea, coffee, milk and sugar for your guests to enjoy a hot cuppa at their leisure. Kidzville have you covered by providing an urn, cups, glasses, teaspoons, cake plates and cake forks – no extra cost. It’s all included in your affordable venue hire.
Sticky candy floss and crunchy, munchy popcorn appeals to everyone so book one or both machines provided by Kidzville as an optional extra.
My go to list for sweets is decorated cupcakes, ice-cream cones, iced biscuits as clowns, cars etc. mini koeksisters, and assorted sweets and for savouries think about popcorn, chips and dip, hotdogs, pizzas, mini pies, samoosas, frikkadels, English sandwiches, savoury tarts.
Lastly, don’t forget the birthday cake and if you booked your party at Kidzville party venue you won’t even have to worry about the tidying and washing up after the party – it gets done for you.
Points To Consider When Choosing A Venue For Your Kids Party
Are you throwing a kiddies party soon?
Planning your kid’s party should be loads of fun, with tangible excitement and anticipation… yes and fun for Mom as well!
Home party or venue? … this one’s a no-brainer..
KIDS PARTY VENUE, OR HOME PARTY?
Another year, another birthday, and this year I’m really wondering if it’s worth the effort, not forgetting time and expense of another HOME party?
Maybe it’s time to let a professional handle my “special occasion”, by the time I’ve planned, arranged and prepared for the party, I’m too exhausted to enjoy it.
Selecting a venue, – KIDZVILLE was the one I chose – I could stop worrying whether I’d have enough utensils and cake plates, etc., or would I have to hire or buy more? The venue has enough facilities catering for larger numbers of guests and, that means, no queues outside my loo.
On arrival, the friendly staff of KIDZVILLE will already have the venue decorated and the tables set at no extra cost. All I have to do is add the accessories for our chosen theme and bring enough snacks for excited, hungry children.
Ample space at the venue offers the kids freedom to run, move about freely, and most of all be noisy and excited without complaints from the neighbourhood. The various venues to select at KIDZVILLE are safe and secure, giving the host real peace of mind. Not only is there sufficient space at the venue for the kids and adults, there is also safe and secure parking for cars. No parking on pavements and along the street.
Counting the pennies in these tough, financial times, I realised that hiring the venue would also save me on arranging entertainers, hiring a jumping castle and kiddies tables and chairs, table cloths and chair covers, balloons etc. And then the question, are the service providers going to pitch on time? Kidzville has so many activities included in the venue hire making it real value for money.
Generally, guests don’t tend to overstay their welcome (or time limit) at a venue, whereas they can definitely take liberties at a home held party.
No mini invasion of my home, no strangers ambling about or little Johnny deciding our wardrobe is the best ever hiding place, no ice-cream dribbling down my puppy’s friendly mouth which he discovered, melting, behind our couch.
The Kidzville venue is definitely the way to go and the cherry on the cake? NO cleaning up afterwards for me!